- This event has passed.
Substance Use Disorder and Recovery Symposium
September 20 @ 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
This symposium was FREE to attend due to a generous grant provided by the Catholic Health Foundation. Please note that all attendee information was kept entirely confidential. Nothing was shared outside of the Labor Guild.
We plan to do a similar event next year, so please stay tuned for updates.
Visit our resources page for more information on substance use disorder and recovery resources.
Thank you to our friends at Pipefitters Local 537 for hosting this important event!
Thank you to the Catholic Health Foundation of Greater Boston for sponsoring this event!
Thank you to all of our presenters and vendors!
Charlene Verga, MNA
Peg Tayler, MNA
John Christian, Modern Assistance
Dr. Shrand and the Drugstory Theater Team
AA Group Members
Jim Wahlberg, Wahl St. Productions
Carol Malia, MNA
Tom Vitiello, LAP-C, LADC
Teamsters Local 25 EAP and President of the Massachusetts Chapter of Labor Assistance Professionals
Rev. Deacon Richard Murphy
Retired Correctional Chaplain, Barnstable County House of Corrections
Marc Lyle, LAP-C
Recovery Specialist, Laborers
- 9ish: Welcome and Light Breakfast
- Lisa Field, President of the Labor Guild
- Father Fallon, ED of the Labor Guild
- Pipefitters Local 537 as host
- 9:15-9:30 AM: Mass AFL CIO President Steve Tolman
- 9:30AM-10:30AM: Education Piece on Substance Use Disorder by Charlene Verga, MNA
- 10:30AM-10:45AM Narcan Training
- 10:45AM-11AM: Emotional Wellness piece by Peg Tayler with breathing and stretching exercises
- Workshop #1: Dr. Shrand and his work with adolescents
- Workshop #2: Resources: Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous
- Workshop #3: Resources: Modern Assistance
- 11:30AM to noon: Boxed Lunch and Networking
- 12-12:45PM: Keynote Speaker: Jim Wahlberg, author of The Big Hustle: A Boston Street Kid’s Story of Addiction and Redemption
- 12:45-1PM: Emotional Wellness piece with breathing and stretching exercises by Peg Tayler, MNA
- 1-1:45PM: Panel on Resources: Various representatives from local unions, assistance programs, and organizations will speak about resources available to their members and members’ families and loved ones
- 1:45 to 2PM: Closing Remarks by Lisa and final Emotional Wellness piece with breathing and stretching exercises by Peg Tayler, MNA